Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RH8 on a Prosario problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaneryrie

MIS
Apr 11, 2001
US
Hi All,

Has any one sucessfully installed RedHat 8 on a Presario 6000 series desktop with a flat panel monitor and the stock Nvidia graphics card? I have tried 3 times now with no sucess. No matter which type of install I try, it always bombs out on me during the x server config. I have not yet tried a regular monitor or swapping video cards. I wanted to try to get this working with what I have first. Any ideas would be both helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
zr

I checked through the archives of my LUG and a user there reported a similar problem the he was able to fix by updating the bios of his Nvidia card. If that's not possible for you, then switching out the video card would be the next best thing.

Canadian0812

Thanks for the reply. Last night I installed Suse's version of Linux, 7.3 professional and got it up and running. I blew everything away from my previouse xp install and started from scratch. I was amazed at how well the Suse distrobution handled all of the hardware, as compared to RedHat's version 8.x.

At any rate, everything worked fine for the video although it would not let me test it. It did not recognise the video card (chip?) but offered a sutable substitute. I suspect that the newest Suse distro will be fine, so I plan to upgrade to that soon.

Since that worked, I am switching the machine to a dual boot Linux / Win2k machine (Fat partitions with unused sapce for Linux, boot floppy)this week. I realized in the middle of the night that my wife would not be able to handle the change when using the scanner as a copy machine.

There seems to be a huge hardware difference from my old Compaq (5100 Presario) and the 6000. I could get any distro to work on the old machine, but not on this new one. Oh well.

Sorry for the ramble, but maybe some one else will profit from my experience.

Thanks again.

zr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back