Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RH8.0 boot hangs at network

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatchetman

Programmer
Jul 18, 2002
US
I installed RedHat 8.0 on my HP laptop running an Athlon processor. I also have a LinkSys wireless pcmcia card (WPC11; 802.11b). This pc also has Windows XP on another partition, where everything works fine.

During bootup, it hangs at "Bringing up loopback interface:", which is right after "Setting network parameters: [OK]". If I go into interactive mode and skip "network", then it hangs at "Starting pcmcia:". If I then skip that too, then I have no network (but at least it boots!). The ifconfig just sits there and both lsmod and dmesg know nothing about network or pcmcia.

So how do I get my network running and my pcmcia card running? What should I tackle first?

Boot up with your laptop connected (plugged in) to your network and it should work. I had this problem when I unplugged my desktop ethernet cable from the router. Plugging in and booting up resolves it. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back