Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RH 8.0 XMMS problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielemasson

Programmer
Apr 6, 2002
CO
Hi there ..

i juts installed Rh 8.0, executing XMMS it doesnt load mp3 files to the play list, ... when i try to choose a mp3 file, i click add, and simply doesnt appear in the playlist, ... only i can add .wav files, and xmms can play those .wav files, well, the mp3 files are on a vfat partition, i had rh 7.1 and 7.2 and this never happened before i always coould play mp3 files with xmms .. what can i do the play mt files again in RH 8.0 ???

I think this is because the .mp3 file format is patented and cannot be freely distributed. That is it isn't open source.

This from the XMMS website (
Redhat 8 update
Nov 05, 2002

A couple of issues with the latest Redhat 8.0 release of XMMS:
Can't add/play mp3s.
Redhat decided to not ship any mp3 decoding software whatsoever in Redhat 8.0 (information), so you'll have a couple of options.

Download the mpg123 plugin here

Download a replacement RPM for XMMS

Users using freshrpms.net for apt-get can grab the package 'xmms-mp3'

Compile and install XMMS from source.

oxide23,

You need to update your information. MP3 was originally proprietary, but the Fraunhofer Institut (the inventor of the format and patent-holder) has since made the format freely available.

oxide23,

Sorry, I mispoke. It's not it freely available but that the status of the patents is in great contention. Fraunhofer owns 18 patents covering MP3 and related technologies, but not all of the patents are universally enforced (in some countries, for example, you cannot patent an algorithm), and interpretation of the patents is greatly contested. ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

Had this Same Exact Problem. I will say this, as A long time user of Red Hat, I am NOT impressed with 8.0.

Thanks for the info sleipnir214 !

Switch to OGG files. Better quality and compression and freely available.

kd4pba:

Being also a longtime user of RedHat, I have found that any of their first major revisions to the distribution (6.0, 7.0, 8.0) have left a lot to be desired. They generally get it right in the next minor release.

The problems with XMMS revolve around misinformation dealing with the MP3 decoding algorithm. It's current status is that it is proprietary, but that Thompson Multimedia, one of the holders of the patent, charges no license fee for MP3 implementations that are free to end-users. Some of the misinformation has been promulgated by xiph.org, publishers of the royalty-free Ogg Vorbis audio compression codec -- some have accused them of muddying the waters by trying to push their own codec. (The Ogg Vorbis codec is acknowledged by many to be superior to MP3, but its acceptance is lower. For more information, visit Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

danielemasson can you you tel me how to make a OGG file from my CD AUDIO ?? and did i still can read it with my win98 ?

thanks for all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back