Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RH 7.2 SAMBA Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2001
IT
I just installed RH 7.2.I can join my NT domain,but I used smbclient to show its Master,it show its name itself.previously,i use RH 7.1 I can see the Master with the name of my NT BDC,but RH7.2 Show Its name it this.What am I did wrong.Anyone can help.Thanks

Hi,

Around every 15 minutes there is an election held on the network to elect a domain master browser. The 'winner' will depend firstly on what samba calls the 'os level' and then on the machine uptime. The values used by various M$ operating systems are :

Windows NT Server 4.0 - 33
Windows NT Server 3.51 - 32
Windows NT Workstation 4.0 - 17
Windows NT Workstation 3.51 - 16
Windows 98 - 2
Windows 95 - 1
Windows 3.1 for Workgroups - 1

In addition roles have points too :

Primary Domain Controller - 128
WINS Client - 32
Preferred Master Browser - 8
Active Master Browser - 4
Standby Browser - 2
Active Backup Browser - 1

So, if the value in your smb.conf is > 33 samba will win the election vs a NT server unless that NT server is a PDC. In the event of a tie, then the 'preferred master' setting can tip the balance. The relevant settings in smb.conf are :

os level = 31
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
local master = yes

You can play around with these to get the desired result - i.e. if you want samba to win or lose. The local master setting only affects the local subnet, incidentally and, in case its not obvious, browsing is not the same as a PDC/BDC function so its not really that significant.

See --> .

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back