Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RH 5.2 Install dies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamorric

Programmer
Apr 12, 2000
US
I bought a CD of RH 5.2 a while back and finaly got around to installing it. The PC I wanted to install it to is a 486 SX 30 MHx, ugh. It has 8 MB RAM, and about 100 MB of disk. The machine currently has MS-DOS 5.0. It is old and I don't care what happens to it.<br><br>I created the bootable disk, and tried to do the install. Things go great for a minute and then it hangs. This is the screen output.<br><br>Loading initrd.img<br>Loading vmlinuz<br>Uncompressing linux ... done.<br>Now booting the kernel<br>Memory: sized by int13 088h<br>Console: 16 pt font, 400 scans<br>Console: colour VGA+ 80 x 25,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1 virtual console (max 63)<br>pci_init: no bios32 detected.<br>&lt; this is where it hangs &gt;<br><br>I tried to install it on another PC with the same boot disk, and all went well.<br><br>Can someone give me an idea of why this doorstop of a PC won't work with the installation program? I tried installing from the hard drive and CD with the same results.<br><br>Is there a way I can install the stuff manually? I still have it on the other PC.<br><br>TIA

Sounds like the RedHat installer requires a 32-bit BIOS (a PCI BIOS?) to install.&nbsp;&nbsp;Considering the age of your machine, this may be the case.<br><br>RedHat seems to aim its distrobution at new machines and IT (or the special RHCE folk).<br><br>Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response. I was worried that no one would look at it.<br><br>From what I have read, I don't believe this is the case. I have heard and read about people installing it on 386's before.<br><br>In the installation docs there is something about turning off the pci probing, and I tried it. But I am not sure I got it right because it certainly didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back