Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rexx script to execute at Login 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iadithot

Programmer
Jul 24, 2006
US
When I worked at a different shop they had a "Rexx Startup" PDS. If you put a Rexx script in this "Rexx Startup" PDS the script would execute when the User logged into TSO. I have looked through the manual and can't find any mention of this "Rexx Startup" PDS.

I am not a Systems Programmer and don't have access to the TSO Login script.

Is there a way for an Applications Programmer to get a Rexx Script to execute at TSO Login time?

When you start a TSO session, you can give it a CLIST to execute at startup (in the PARM, I think). Your sysprogs normally set this up so it can look for things like &SYSUID..CLIST and &SYSUID..REXX and allocate them to SYSPROC or SYSEXEC if they exist. Some may even call &SYSUID..CLIST(LOGON) or something similar. But it's not a standard thing so you won't find it in the manual - they are normally site-specific mods.

Take a look at your TSO JCL with SDSF the next time you are logged on, and see how it's set up. You should be able to follow what it does by looking at the CLIST that gets called at startup and working from there. Then you will be able to see how to hack it around to do what you want.

Steve

[small]"Every program can be reduced by one instruction, and every program has at least one bug. Therefore, any program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work." (Object::perlDesignPatterns)[/small]

Thanks Steve,

For some reason I can't get the logon JCL in SDSF. I can get the ISPLOG and I can get the dump if the TSO UserID times out due to inactivity, but no JCL.

But the dump gave me the files I needed. Unfortunately a Rexx Script will not auto execute from them. I was able to track down our System Programmer. He looked at the Login JCL and indicated that there is currently no Rexx scripts that will auto execute at Logon no matter where PDS the Rexx Script resides.

But he likes the idea, so he may add that capability.

So there is still hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back