Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rewiring Alarm System 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voipnow

Vendor
Sep 2, 2011
US
My customer updated their telephone lines and now they don't support their alarm system. I have two options:
1) connect an analog line into the phone system but then they will lose one line in their hunt group.

2) connect the analog line directly to the alarm system and eliminate the phone system. They currently have rj-31 jack at the alarm panel.

Thank you.

forgot to ask my question - which is better and what wiring changes would I need to make?

I generally always try to avoid putting alarms into the PBX. i feel it is best those be stand alone. there are always times where we may not have a line or something and they have to go into the PBX. its hard to tell with what you have but normally red/green is incoming line on rj31x and yellow/black is the other end where you would connect a device.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Alarm systems shouldn't pull dial tone via a port on any telephone system. [thumbsdown]

They should have either a dedicated POTS line, or share a POTS line with some other device, but be wired in front of said device via a 31X so that the alarm can take control of the telephone line if needed.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Keeping it off the phone system was my thought as well. It was previously connected to their phone system. If I following the cable from the jack at the alarm panel, the yellow/black is punched down on the 66 block at the demarc and the red/green is beanied (my thought is to the phone system). Since I want to take the phone system out of the equation should I be able to
1) jumper a fax line to the yellow/black so that the rj-31 will still work
or
2) jumper the yellow/black to a standalone line and connect alarm panel to rj-11.

Thank you.

a lot of alarm companies will lift the feed to a demark and beanie in series with the demark cut that loose and reconnect the co feed to the block or protector and then feed the alarm from its green and red......

Is it possible to wire the line into the alarm first and the alarm box sends it out to the PABX all of the time except when it requires it and it takes use of it immediately?

"Is it possible to wire the line into the alarm first and the alarm box sends it out to the PABX all of the time except when it requires it and it takes use of it immediately?"

That's the idea behind the 31x. Dial tone is fed into, through and out of the alarm system. If the system needs to report a condition, it opens off the external equipment and takes control of the telephone line. Once it completes the transmission, the line is released so it can be used for normal call processing again.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

yes the problem with that configuration is if your alarm company puts its RJ31X on the lead number of the hunt group the way that the alarm company dials into its panel is the software dials in 2 times the first time it hangs up(the alarm panel by default is waiting for this) and then very quickly it demon dials back again it should get a modem squeal from the panel. This is fine if you use central office voicemail as long as you are not a busy but if you have voicemail and answers calls rights away the alarm company will never get in .... the best way is either an dedicated lines for alarm or to have the alarm tied into rj31x on the last number in their hunt group and then have that last number pickup on voicemail after
2 or 3 rings in day/night mode !! SNC

Alarm companies should NOT be installing any phone jacks, since most of them know nothing about telephony or proper wiring practices!!

The RJ31X modular jack should never be wired to the first line of any hunt group. The last line or a fax line is typically used for this purpose. Also make sure the polarity is correct through the alarm control unit. I have found countless units wire reversed in the control unit for the T1/R1 leads on the pigtail. Polarity does matter!

....JIM....

Thanks for all the helpful posts.
The alarm company was sharing with a line going into the phone system but, as someone suspected, they reversed the wires. Ended up taking the alarm off the phone system and putting on the fax machine line.

"In MA there now has to be 2 dedicated lines on a commercial fire panel !!"

Some towns in Massachusetts are switching over to wireless monitoring systems for fire alarm panels. Arlington has done it and I think Burlington has as well.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

"yes but I am in the Berkshires"

I could see where parts of Western Massachusetts could cause problems for wireless monitoring systems.

I imagine that the towns without DSL service, must be the smaller remote ones like Goshen, Chester & Florida. I suspect that larger ones (that have a Verizon Central Office) like Pittsfield, Springfield, Chicopee, North Adams & Great Barrington, along with their adjoining towns, do have DSL.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

in the UK, Dial up means the old dial up connection you had to make to the Internet rather than an ADSL (broadband) connection, or a Fibre product. I guess it's the same the world over

Yes Dial up I did not stuter!! dialtone to dialtone to internet!you hear a bunch of loud squeals and then a painfully slow connection v 90 56k but lucky if you get 14.4 k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back