Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reviving old computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vacunita

Programmer
Aug 2, 2001
MX
I have an old computer I wish to revive for use with Windows 98, for some old games and applications.

Details:
Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board D845WN
CPU: Intel Pentium 4
3x256MB DDR2 (767MB total)

Since the board has no video card, I'm using an AGP video card. I have 2 options.
An MSI G4MX440 (64MB Video RAM)
and an MSI NX6200AX-TD256H AGP 8x Video Card. (256MB video RAM)

The issue here, is nether produce an image when connected. And I do not know why. The computer starts up, and no error beeps are heard. If I remove the RAM I get the expected error beeps (3 beeps equally spaced). With the RAM, just a dark screen. I've tried removing all but one stick of RAM, and all other expansion cards, and still nothing. Tried using different sticks and nothing.

I'm not entirely sure what may be the issue at this point.

Any ideas?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

Replaced the power supply, and got video output.

Seems the power supply was shot. It was an older 400w power supply.

Guess I'll have to buy a new power supply for this machine.

Phil AKA Vacunita
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back