Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reverse loop in handset cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

rejackson

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2005
US
I know this is silly but this is like the puzzles I used to play with made out of interlocked bent nails .

I cannot figure out how the handset cords get those spots where the coil reverses direction; or how to clear them up. There are usually 2 spots and it seems like the cord between those spots has reversed. It seems like there should be an easy way to reverse it back to normal but the only thing I have been able to figure out is to untwist it to the end.

I WISH THAT'S ALL I HAD TO WORRY ABOUT

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

everytime a handset is lifted or put down, there is a chance you will twist it around, and eventually that twisting will cause the coiled cord to create an extra coil and if that's done opposite of the dicrection of the existing coils, then you get the condition you are asking about. One of the reasons they sell those little twist eliminator devices that attach at the base or handset that keep this from happening

I have had many customers ask for new coiled cords because they twist them up so much they start to fray the ends or crack open the cords themselves and expose the internal wire, again a great place to put those little twist eliminators

I would rather replace the handset cord than put the twissop on , twisstops work great for a while then get staic, garanteed .
phone gets static , customer replaces cord , stacik stil there , you wind up with a service call.

Now if the customer buys them and puts them on themselves then its a billable service call , if you gave or sold them to them then the call is yours .

as to the orginal question wrap the cord around a dowl or broomstick to get it straigth again.

we used to do that with hardwired cords that where a PITA to change

Thanks guys (or gals) but I think you are missing the point. These are not just twisted cords. If you look at the cord in this condition you will usually see two spots where the coils just reverse direction. It seems like there ought to be a trick to just flip that section back in place.

I know exactly what your talking about and I gave you the answer , try it

The twisting is subconscience. People don't realize they are doing it. I have pointed it out to them and some don't believe me. The only way to "fix" the reverse twists is to twist and stretch the cord until it goes in one direction. Then let it untwist a little bit to normal mode. It is amazing how much some people twist those handset cords! The long ones can really become a mess. If they become a lost cause they get replaced.

Those twistop "thingys" are worthless!! As mentioned in the above post they cause nothing but STATIC!! Whenever I service an instrument that has one, I remove it immediately.

....JIM....

The twisting is subconscience. People don't realize they are doing it. I have pointed it out to them and some don't believe me. The only way to "fix" the reverse twists is to twist and stretch the cord until it goes in one direction. Then let it untwist a little bit to normal mode. It is amazing how much some people twist those handset cords! The long ones can really become a mess. If they become a lost cause they get replaced.

Those twistop "thingys" are worthless!! As mentioned in the above post they cause nothing but STATIC!! Whenever I service an instrument that has one, I remove it immediately.

....JIM....

actully I like the twisstops and use them personally they work great for a year or so then they get static and I replace .

I would never give or sell one to a customer and when I see a customer with one I always advice them of the static potenial .

I also like detanglers. Never had any users complain about a bad phone.

If static becomes a problem, they know where I keep the stash of spares so they can test and replace on their own. There are a few that have been in use for over 2 years and have not developed any problems with static.

Sorry Skip,

I stopped reading at the comments about the untanglers. I will try the broomstick technique.

Thanks,
Richard

richard

, what you want is something round about the same size as the coil , when you get to the odd twisted coil you need to flip it to fit then continue on ,

once everything is straight hitting it with a heat gun or hair dryer then letting it cool coiled helps .

like I said we did it with the hardwired or odd colored cords , with a new cord at a buck or so I wouldnt bother

The user is not the cause. The reason coilcords tangle is because the wire twist inside the jacket opposes the "memory" of the outer jacket...and it is all compounded when the coilcord is streched.

It ain't people spinning the handset that create the mess. If that was all it was, flipping the cord around would solve it.

~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back