Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reverse KVM- 2monitors 2 mice 2 keyboards 1 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

auspiv9689

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
US
is there a product that is a "reverse KVM" so to speak?
my sitation is that i have one computer that i recently bought that has some pretty nice specs(p4 3.2, 2gb ram.. u get the idea) and it is in the center of the house. is it possible that i could have 2 places to control it from like from my bedroom and from the actual location of the computer. i tried xp pro's remote desktop but it isn't as fast as i would expect it to be... any ideas or help would be appreciated

Austin

It probably won't work as the KVM, especially the keyboard and mouse, don't work well past 6 feet or 10 feet from the computer. If using USB devices there's repeater that can increase that distance.

ok thats good to know but still is it theorotically possible?

A mechanical switch KVM doesn't care which way the current flows.
But they are subject to losing the kbd and the video will get noisy.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Have you looked at something like this from viewsonic?
Also I noticed you said that you have tried the remote desktop in XP? Did you know that by default it sets itself up as 56kbs connection? Try setting options to 100mbs and you should see an increase in speed. I use it to access servers across town with dsl and cable and it's ok. Can't play games or anything,but I can get in and start backups or transfer files off site.

I shall use google before asking stupid questions!

alright thanks the ethernet optimized thing worked for me and the viewsonic thing would be sweet but its about $600 more than i have right now[tongue]

14 year olds aren't as smart as ppl say... they are smarter

RE:
auspiv9689 (TechnicalUser) Apr 20, 2004

"14 year olds aren't as smart as ppl say... they are smarter"

But it's amazing how smart their parents have become by the time the 14-year-old reaches 25 years old.

I control my PC from either my living room downstairs or the room it's in upstairs.

The PC has a monitor, PS2 keyboard & PS2 mouse attached so I use those when I'm at the machine. It also has a cable running from the graphics card's TV-out port to my TV downstairs. There's a receiver for an infra-red keyboard/mouse combo plugged into a USB port and I use a wireless infra-red 'remote sender' so that I can use the IR keyboard/mouse from the living room.

So, yes, if you set it up right you can have two sets of keyboards, mice and monitors operating/driven by the one PC.

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back