Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reverse Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

nchapman

Programmer
Aug 9, 2002
GB
Hi,
I am currently reverse engineering our schema into Designer 6 (Version 6.0.3.9.0).

I am looking at reverse engineering the PL/SQL packages/procedures/functions. I am using Design Editor to do this.

Now these procedures etc were reverse engineered a while ago. They have now changed and I am reverse engineering them back in. When I do this, it creates another copy of the package etc, within designer. I therefore see 2 copies of the same package/function/procedure. But the second one has a 1 at the end of its name.

Is there no way Designer can just amend the existing copy, like it does with Tables/Views ? Does this mean that every time I want to reverse engineer the code back in I will have to delete all the procedures/packages/functions that I have sitting in Designer ?

(Ideally we want to use Designer as a configuration management too, and I know in Designer 6i, configuration management etc has been introduced so in that version I presume it works differntly ?)

You may change Update PL/SQL Implementations existing in the Repository (PIMAIN) generator preference to Replace Secondary Elemet. There are also a number of other preferences that may affect this.

Apologies, but how do i change this ? Where do I go to change it in Designer ?

Select your Application System node, right-click, select Edit Generator Preferences. Choose Product: Server Generator. Expand Pl/sql Definitions. Change settings.

P.S. Try to read Online Help at least, before sending request to the web.

I have been looking through the online help, without much success.

I am not sure if I am understanding what you are saying. Is the following the same as your solution ? (I am not sure what you mean when you say, "select your application system node")

I have design editor open, and can do a EDIT - Generator Preferences, which then opens up a box, where i can select "server generator" for the product. (Not sure if this is the same as what you are talking about).

I can then choose the preference set, but when I try it says, "No preference set used".

Am a little confused.

Yes, but you need to aply these preferences to your applications system.

Your right panel contains a tree of folders with GLOBAL SHARED WORKAREA as its root. The childs are your application systems (you amy have a number). Select one (or create new and then select it) and edit its preferences either by right-clicking or via menu.

Where is this "Global Shared Workarea", within the RON ?
Are you talking from a "administrator" viewpoint ? I cannot see other application systems, and can only enter my own one, which is where I am doing this work.

I'm talking from developer's viewpoint. I use 6i, maybe 6 differs a bit, as 2.1 didn't support a number of application systems opened simultaneously. So, probably, your root folder is your AS and you may set these preferences by selecting the root node. Don't worry about "anonymous" pereference set, because Server Generetor preferences may be set on CONTAINER (AS) level only, so there's no need to declare a number of "named" sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back