Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reverse Engineering Crystal Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandot

Programmer
Jul 19, 2005
CA
Are there any tools to reverse engineer crystal reports?

I'm at a new job and apparently the code is not available for these reports. Just an executable.

There's an EXE file but no RPT file...?

Sounds like a old compiled report from CR-8 (or earlier).

I think even the compiled EXE file needed an RPT to reference, search the EXE folder for corresponding RPT-files.

Even compiled reports needed a Report.EXE, Report.crf and the Report.rpt files. All three files needed to view a report.

As long as you can find the RPT file, you should be able to open it in a later version of Crystal to see what it does. Might need the original version of the rpt file if you want to change it but continue to view using the original EXE.

Compiled reports were messy to update. A general purpose Report Viewer (like my cView report viewer) was a lot easier. Ken Hamady has a complete list of 3rd party products on his web site.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back