Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reusing RAID once a replacement Controller comes in

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileydba

Programmer
Jun 21, 2005
US
Server: IBM eServer

ok, our DC crashed, and with it, all three drives went with it. System is Raid 5, no spare (i know). We trouble shooted the issue down to the controller, because when we move two of the drives to any other slot, they show activity and opperational, but you put them back into there slots, they become defunct. We use ServerRaid 6.10 and see the controllers. We had them working for a minute, but of course, we get the error NTLDR not found or something.
We are about to replace the controller. Now then, with the replacement controller, am I still able to reuse the current Windows Setup????? We are trying to move far away from using the Tape backups as possible(that is a last ditch effort, but we want to make things work without the tape). We want to reuse the current settings. Does anyone think there might be a trouble.
Also, even if we get it back up and running and the raid works, does anyone think there might be a problem with the NTLDR??? Possible change on the boot.ini file????

Any ideas, or strategies
Rob W.

In general you should have no problem in replacing a defunct cntl.
But remember in what bays you had your drives and don't get anything written to your disks before you have the new cntl.
When you replace the cntl it should tell you that the config in the cntl is different then on the disks and should ask you what config to use. Tell it to use the one on the disks.

I don't know ServerRaid 6.10, so it could be different on them.

/johnny

It not so much the slots which are the real danger, the machine will balk until you get them right; mix up the SCSI cables (channels), and you have have a real problem

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back