Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reusing a Hierarchial Subtotal in a formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibee

Technical User
Sep 30, 2003
AU
Hello there

I am using Crystal 11 and have a report grouped hierarchially. I have then created a summary field using the insert summary function and selecting the option to summarise across hierarchy.

Problem: how can i use this summary within another formula. the total i want needs to have 1 subtracted from it and i have the following problems:

when i go into the formula editor the summary field is not avaiable to slect and use within a formula.

i dont know how to manually create a heirarchial summary.

can anyone help me with either please.

thanks

K

I can't think of a way to use the field or manually create a hierarchical summary, but you can cheat subtracting 1 from the summary by right clicking the summary->format field->Common->X2 next to Display String and place:

totext(currentfieldvalue-1)

This will reduce all of the display values in the summary by one.

Ain't purdy, but it subtracts 1 from the displayed value.

-k

I should have mentioned that you have a good deal of control in this fashion, you can also use:

If onfirstrecord then
totext(currentfieldvalue-1)
else
totext(currentfieldvalue)

So the first row would have 1 subtracted from it, the others not, you can use numerous conditional checks within if that helps.

-k

THANK YOU... my goodness there is always something new isnt there, i would never have thought of going sbout it that way.

thanks

Kylie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back