Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reusing a dataset for multiple reports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpankySpanky

Programmer
May 25, 2005
AU
I'm only starting out with CR. What I want to do it use a single dataset containing a large number of records, and use it to supply a number of subreports with different views into the data.

I wanted to avoid reloading more or less the same dataset for each subreport, if I could get away with using the same dataset, similar to the way different dataviews see different views of a dataset. I understand this is possible in VB2005 but not in VS2003 (I use 2003).

1) Is this possible somehow?

2) Alternatively, could I load the dataset and destroy it after generating each subreport and have the subreports retain the data without the underlying dataset still being live?

Thanks for any comments.

A subreport does its own read of its datasets: that's what it is.

Have you looked at crosstabs? They let you show the same data in different ways in the same report.

Also which version of Crystal?

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

If CrossTabs are not a full solution for you, you can export one report to a table (using ODBC as the export format). Then, use the resulting table in other reports. There are tools that can automate this process.

- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back