Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Returning Confirm to HTML from JS function 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagon

MIS
Jan 30, 2002
GB
That works fine and the button action is cancelled if the user clicks Cancel on the confirm box. But I really want it to be a bit more sophisticated and take parameters to determine whether it displays the dialog box or not.

As a first step, I have a JS function such as:

Code:
function checkLivePolicies(policyCount) {
  return confirm('This has ' + policyCount + ' live policies which will cancelled.  Are you sure?');
}

I then change my button to:

onclick="checkLivePolicies(3)"

It executes the function and shows the confirm box. But it still executes the action of the button, even if I choose CANCEL. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to fix this?

Sorry, this got garbled. It was supposed to say this:

I created a button in a form with a confirm dialog to allow the user to cancel the action using:

Code:
<button>
onclick="return confirm('Are you sure?')" 
</button>

That works fine and the button action is cancelled if the user clicks Cancel on the confirm box. But I really want it to be a bit more sophisticated and take parameters to determine whether it displays the dialog box or not.

As a first step, I have a JS function such as:

CODE
function checkLivePolicies(policyCount) {
return confirm('This has ' + policyCount + ' live policies which will cancelled. Are you sure?');
}
I then change my button to:

onclick="checkLivePolicies(3)"

It executes the function and shows the confirm box. But it still executes the action of the button, even if I choose CANCEL. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to fix this?

Code:
onclick="[red]return[/red] checkLivePolicies(3)"

Mark

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back