Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Return Target of Folder Shortcut 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockfish12

Technical User
Feb 12, 2002
US
I've got some code in my little application that allows users to browse for folders through a dialog box. However, in the browse dialog box, some of the folders shown - for example, those under My Network Places - are actually folder shortcuts, rather than actual folders.

I know how to programmatically distinguish between folders and folder shortcuts. What I can't figure out how to do is to return the target of a folder shortcut.

Does Visual Basic have a way to return the target of a folder shortcut?

Yes. And if you do a keyword search in this forum (I suspect you might have to select the 6 month option) you should find code to do so.

Thanks, but I tried that already. I found a couple of threads that looked promising, but nothing that I was able to make work.

Really? <tapppety tappety> Hmm. Does, for example, the code I gave in thread222-394755 not help?

Actually, that thread looks very promising - I think it will work. Thanks very much for providing that...

Now, regarding what seems to be your thinly veiled skepticism that I actually looked for relevant threads: believe it or not, the search terms &quot;shortcut&quot; and &quot;target&quot; don't produce that thread in the list of results with the &quot;All Words&quot; option selected. Guess I should have just gone with &quot;shortcut.&quot;

I feel so chastened...

No, I blame the search engine. It sometimes does some...odd...things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back