Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Return Receipt When Reading Another's Inbox Message Through My ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcdefgh123465

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
US
I was on my PC reading an email in my direct report's Notes account(access set up by my IT people, of course) when she received a return receipt message in her inbox notifying her that I had received that email. However, the email was never sent to me and I only opened up the email in her account (through my Notes ID). I did not forward the email to me. I double-checked the original email sent and I was never copied on it. This brings up several questions: 1. Was the return receipt notice a fluke? 2. If not, how can one set this option up? I couldn't find anything to duplicate this in Notes R5 that is officially installed by our IT dept. 3. If not in Notes R5, am I dealing with a plugin (which my IT dept. will flip over if they find out that she has this)? Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have a bit of trouble understanding what exactly happened here.
First, what is your direct report Notes account ?
Second, how can you open an email on "her" account with your ID on your PC ?
Third, what is it you want setting up ? The return receipt, or sending a mail to someone without his name showing ?

From what I gather, you got a mail in your mailbox, opened it and the client sent a RR back. Normal procedure. The fact that you did not find your name in the recipient list does not have to mean there was an addressing error. The fact that the mail was designed to return a receipt meant that is got generated when you opened it, whether or not you were supposed to get it.
There are no "plugins" for Notes that can modify the way mail is treated. Notes does not admit the technology for mail, which is a good thing.
Basically, from the moment you received the mail, everything is normal. So, no, the return receipt was not a fluke.
How that mail got into your mailbox is a mystery to me, but I know that internet-savvy admins will certainly be able to answer that. There is no Notes option that allows you to send a mail to someone without giving the name, or the group. That kind of behavior is typically a spammer thing reserved for the Wild Wild Web.

I've already received an expert's reply on this question, which explained why my assistant (my direct report) received a return receipt on an email that I read in her sent items folder through my ID. If you know how to utilize the access control option, you would understand how I could access my assistant's mail database and read their email (perfectly legit if set up by my IT Dept). Also, if you re-read the question again, you would see that I never sent the email, never received the email in my inbox and didn't want to know how to use the regular return receipt option or send an email without someone knowing who sent it. The situation was not the normal procedure of receiving a return receipt for an email that I sent.

Nevertheless, you opened a mail you had not read, which was flagged for returning a receipt. It does not matter where you read the mail, it will still send a receipt.
I understand now how surprising that must be the first time.
For the rest, if you get an explanation to your problem outside of Tek-Tips, it would be nice if you could post it as response, for the education of the community.

abcd....

Out of interest, did the advice you got state that a RR would be generated by each user (ie ID instance) that viewed the e-mail ?

Steve

HI! I just want to know how you can access somebody else's mailbox or how she can access yours? Do you use the switching ID way? I tried to open another mailbox but there was an error saying that I am not authorized to do it. Thanks and your reply would be a great help to me

Just like any other Notes database, a mailbox can only be accessed by those who are authorized in the ACL to do so. In a normal Notes environment, the owner of the mailbox is the only one authorized to access all mail, and other users normally can read the calendar for scheduling purposes.
If your collegue agrees to your access, he/she should use the Delegation function (in the mailbox, go to Action/Tools/Preferences).
If you have to access the mailbox and your collegue is not there to do the delegation, you'll need the help of the server administrator, and probably permission from the hierarchy.

thanks pmonett!!! but I think I did not make my case clear. I know about this delegate thing...what I want to do is to be able to access some DB with the use of ACL...I know that I can just manage the ACL of the DB in question but the problem is there are some DB that even if I already click "manage", it does not respond...please help!
thanks again.

So you're in the admin seat ? Well, in that case I see only one sure solution. You need to go to the server, launch the Notes client and open the mailbox on local.
It would be a good idea to ask the user to not access the db while you are doing this.
Accessing a db without a server allows you to bypass the ACL, unless the "Enforce consistent ACL" is checked. In that case, there is only one solution left.
If indeed you cannot access the db locally, you'll need to download an ACL manager from NotesNet Sandbox and install it. Since it requires a dll (included in the download), I have never installed the package. I do not like the idea of foreign code running with root priviledges, but you are welcome to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back