Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Return Parameter list for an Oracle procedure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thendrickson

Programmer
Apr 14, 2004
US
Please forgive me for a pretty basic question but I would like to find the way to determine the paramaters of a an Oracle stored proc by querying the system. I believe there was a stored proc or a function that would provide this information for Oracle 10g but I cannot locate the name of the Oracle proc and cannot find the copy of the code where this was used.
Can anybody quide me the right direction.

Try:
Code:
DESC myProcedure
[3eyes]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thank you very much. This worked perfectly when I ran it using the TOAD application.
However, I am not highly skilled using Oracle and am having some trouble using this in a proc.
I want to create a proc which returns the parameter list as a refcursor so an application developed in C# (Visual Studio)can read the parameter names and direction an process an array of values into the appropriate parameters to be passed in to the proc.
I have similar code developed in VB.Net for SQL Server and had deceloped a version some time ago in VB.net to access an Oracle proc so that application part is fine and I know the principle works

But How do I create a proc so this command would ref a ref cursor?
Every idea I have messed with so far will not compile which probaly shows lacl of thought on my part but I am drawing a total blank

The proc I used last time returned a ref cursor already. This proc may have been something developed by that company although I was told at the time it was not (I think, it has been a while)

You can also query the {ALL|DBA}_ARGUMENTS View.
[noevil]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thanks for the help this is perfect. Sometimes the simplest most basic information is the hardest to find in a goole or Bing search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back