Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

return of info from db takes a long time; opinions...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotitpulsa

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2003
US
I am querying a table that has over 35,000,000 records. Even if i'm looking for 1 thing, it takes forever. Aside from journaling because process is being worked on right now, for a temporary fix, how could I use a "splash" screen sort of to let the user know that their data is being retrieved and to be patient?

There are several ways of implementing a "loading" screen. Before you actually get into any of these you may want to look at why these queries are taking such a long time. i.e. do you have indexes set up, could summary tables be produced to allow faster searches, does a data warehouse need to built etc..

For the actual "loading" page, you have several options, some of which are:

1) Create a div tag that displays a "please wait" message and toggle it's visibility

2) Have an animated gif to show somethign is happening

3) Use Client Callbacks to check on the progress of the other page

4) Use a web service and check it a various intervals to see if it has finished

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help finding an answer?

Try the search facility ( or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back