Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Return list of dates in single text field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave8952

Technical User
Mar 23, 2005
US
Hi,

(I've re-titled my post, and re-posted it, because I think I broke the rules in not being more specific in my last post - sorry)

Please excuse my newbie-ness, I'm new to Filemaker, but have dabbled(and I do mean dabbled) in databases for about 10 years, so I'm somewhat familiar with the concepts. I just bought FMpro7 and am dusting off the brain cells in creating a database.

Here's my problem:
In Table A, I've got a text field (let's call it, "List of Dates". I want this text field to return a list, in text format, (for instance, "3/15, 3/16, 3/20" etc) of a date field in a related table (through a portal) which has many related records. The list would also contain commas ( , ) between the dates.
What I've already done, is create a text field in the related table, that converts the contents of the single date field (in the same record) to text. I'm then trying to return a list of all those "date-converted-to-text" fields into ONE text field in the other table.

There use to be a command (in my old database program) called LIST, but I can't find that in FMpro7.

Any help would be appreciated. The more I think about this, the more I begin to forget my own name.

Thanks,
Dave

You obviously have us all stumped - no responses to two posts.
Can you be a bit more explicit about just what you are trying to do, and why, rather than how you think it might be done?

Cheers,
Paul J.

Dave,
I've now remembered my own name!
Define a Value List, call it LList, as a list from the TextedDates field.
Then set your field to
ValuelistItems("FileName"; "LList")
The list will be returned separated by carriage returns but converting them to commas is simple. (Use the Substitute function)

Cheers,
Paul J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back