Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieving Peachtree Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdillon

Programmer
Oct 30, 2003
US
I have a JAVA application that I would like to pull Peachtree data into. I have downloaded and installed an ODBC driver and successfully connected to the Peachtree database (I connected to Index.DDF, from what I read that seems to be right) via Sun's JDBC-ODBC bridbe.

Now I need to access the data, however I can't figure out what commands to use to do simple things like:

list tables, describe tables, etc.

Maybe I'm off-base, but I thought that Btrieve could be queried via SQL syntax. Basically, I need to figure out what tables hold the data I'm looking for (Generel Ledger info basically).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peachtree uses btrieve 6.15 which is a 10 year old technology which pre-dates SQL. You are out of luck.

In addition, the .ddfs only expose part of the data files (and some files are not exposed at all) so even when you connect to the database natively such as in crystal reports, you are limited.

If you have a specific question about a specific file/table, post it and I will see if I can help.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Well that would explain why the software I'm trying to use to view the data keeps crashing.

How do you extract data from the database? Could I read it in as a string and parse it? I've read about other extracting peachtree data, so I'm curious as to how they are doing it.

Thanks again for the help.

You can select certain data using Pervasive SQL ( They have a trial version there for you to test. So yes it can be queried via SQL (through ODBC). You just don't have any access to write to the data, and some tables are left out.

Regards
Flinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back