Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieving Exit Codes (Error levels) from a command line utility 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajesh Karunakaran

Programmer
Sep 29, 2016
MU
Hi Team,

I have a command line utility to send emails. After its execution it returns Exit Codes or Error Levels from which we would know if it went well or the kind of error it generated.

I am executing the utility from within VFP using ShellExecute. Everything is fine. However, I am not able to find a way to retrieve the Exit Code returned by the utility. I have seen a few write-ups but they're all regarding setting up a batch file. But, I think, to involve a batch file is not my appropriate solution as I am calling this utility in the middle of a functional process running inside a form.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions/advises.

Rajesh

Hi Olaf,

Thank you very much. Exactly what I was looking for I hope.
Will check it and let you know.

I was wondering why you're saying 'Once more today' but then saw the post below mine about 'Checking and wait for checking to finish...'.
Sorry, I had not seen that, or may be missed it because the title appeared about something else.

Thank you,
Rajesh

No need to mention, it's clear you only search for an answer and when you don't find it ask your question and look into your own thread.
It's just funny how such coincidences happen quite often.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

Dear Olaf,
Yes, you're right! At least in my case ;-)

By the way, I found a code using 'WScript.Shell' which also has a provision to wait for the called routine to finish. That was much more simpler than 'ShellExecute' to implement. Below is the function I am using.

Code:
LOCAL oShell, lErrCode
oShell = CREATEOBJECT("WScript.Shell")
*/ pCmd = Command to execute
*/ 0 = Hide run window
*/ 1 = Wait till execution exists.  This is required to get the ERRORLEVEL returned on lErrCode variable
lErrCode = oShell.Run(pCmd, 0, .T.)
oShell = null 
RELEASE oShell
RETURN lErrCode

It's working perfectly in my Windows 10 64 bit laptop. Need to check in older versions and 64/32 bit combinations.
By the way, are there any known dis-advantages of 'WScript.Shell' as such compared to 'ShellExecute'?

Thank you,
Rajesh

Hi Olaf and all others,

The code I posted above works like a charm in my Win 7 32bit system too!

Thanks,
Rajesh

Yes, this solution was discussed in thread184-1790999

But Koen Pillar had some problem with it. The more complicated CreateProcess/WaitForSingleObject is not depending on any OLE class and will also work on systems restricting shell scripting. You can hide the complexity by defining your own class or functions library with a RUN method/function hiding all that and are better off.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf,

I see that there is obviously a point in what you're saying. I will try to create a class (as given in the link you posted in the beginning) and to use ShellExecute instead of WScript.Shell (a swap again !)

Thanks
Rajesh

are there any known dis-advantages of 'WScript.Shell' as such compared to 'ShellExecute'?

The wscript method depends on the Windows Scripting Host (WSH) being installed and activated. I've often read that system administrators sometimes disable WSH for security reasons. That said, I've never come across a case of that actually happening, and I'm not sure why it should be an issue. But it is the reason that ShellExecute() might be the preferred method.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Well, it's still a dependency you can avoid using CreateProcess/WaitForSingleObject.

Notice, Rajesh, the best equivalent to Wscript.Shell.Run() is not ShellÉxecute, ShellExecute doesn't tell you a process id of the process it started so you can't wait for it to exit and don't get the exit code, the only thing ShellExecute also offers is setting window state. The wiki link is about usage of CreateProcess/WaitForSingleObject.

There's more to it, when you use CreateProcess you may also use the stdin/stdout/err pipes and other interprocess communication methods (as far as the other process supports them).

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf,
Thank you for that explanation on 'CreateProcess / WaitForSingleObject'.
I got it.

Rajesh

the only thing ShellExecute also offers is setting window state

For what it's worth, wscript.shell.run also offers the window state - in its second parameter. As far as I can see, these values are the same as with ShellExecute().

Mike

Yes, I said so, but ShellExecute does not offer to wait for the process to finish, CREATEPROCESS/WAITFORSINGLEOBJECT does,
Therefore, Mike, ShellExeecute is NOT the analog function to replace oShell.Run if you want MORE than control the window size/visibiliy.

Bye, Olaf.

ShellExeecute is NOT the analog function to replace oShell.Run if you want MORE than control the window size/visibiliy.

I never said otherwise, Olaf. I was simply picking up your point about the window state.

Mike

Well, and I said "the only thing ShellExecute also offers is setting window state" in the sense that it doesn't offer the other important feature asked by the thread title: To wait for the exit code.

But you recommended using ShellExecute when not using Wcript.Shell.Run(), but ShellExecute lacks that feature and so it's the wrong recommendation.

I hope that makes clear now, why I didn't second your recommendation of ShellExecute as alternative, you forgot what is asked for, ShellExecute does not suffice for that.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back