Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieving error messages in Oracle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nassrin5

MIS
Aug 31, 2003
GB
Can someone tell me how to retrieve error messages including suggested actions in Oracle8

Thanks in advance

Hi,

There is a very useful Oracle utility in UNIX platform called oerr which allows you to print out Oracle error messages from the installed message files. This is a shell script (just read it) and is located under $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory. The syntax is:

Code:
oerr <facility> <error>

The facility is the error prefix like &quot;ORA&quot;, &quot;PLS&quot; etc. The error is the actual error number returned by Oracle. For example, if the database retured an ORA-12544 error, you can do the following oerr command to get more information about the error and possible action to take:

oracle@linux:/u001/oracle/product/9.2.0/bin% oerr ora 12544

12544, 00000, &quot;TNS:contexts have different wait/test functions&quot;
// *Cause: Two protocol adapters have conflicting wait/test functions.
// *Action:  Not normally visible to the user. For further details, turn
// on tracing and reexecute the operation. If error persists, contact
// Oracle Customer Support.

Hope this helps

oerr is the likely answer you wanted, but if the question was in response to compiling package bodys, where you get errors like Package compiled with errors, then the command to show them is SHOW ERRORS

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back