Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieving data, please wait....?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enya

MIS
Dec 3, 2004
US
How would I 'display a message' like Retrieving data, please wait, on an ASP page before looping through a recordset. Thus giving the user some feedback on what is going on in the background, rather than looking at an empty page, till the entire looping finishes??

Thanks in advance.

let's say that your loop had to go through 100 loops until it was done...
Code:
dim i
counter = 1
response.write("Processing")
for i = 1 to 100
  'code that is executing
  if i % 10 = 0 then
    response.write(".")
  end if
next
response.write("Done")
'do your output

The net effect would be a message at the top of the page that would write out the little dots as it processed, and then display a done message, and then do whatever output you want.

The issue, I guess would be that the message would stay on the page. The only way around that, I would think would be to do the processing in the background on one page (the one that displayed the message), and then redirect to another page when the processing is done and then display the results.

good luck!:)
Paul Prewett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back