Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieve id from record just inserted

Status
Not open for further replies.

camillaj

Programmer
Sep 18, 2003
AU
Is there a way to retrieve the id from the record that was just inserted to DB? That is, I insert some values into an access DB and the record automatically creates an ID.

The ID that is created (autonumber) is needed when I add new records to other tables with this ID as foreign key.

I doesn't seem like a sql INSERT Query returns something, so just after Inserting the record, I try to do a SELECT query with the same conditions. Among others I insert the current date:

INSERT INTO Responses(Customer, FormId, DateSubmitted) VALUES ('" & Session("Customer") & "'," & Session("FormId") & ",'" & today & "')"

I then tried to SELECT

"SELECT ResponseId FROM Responses WHERE DateSubmitted='" & today "'"

But here I get a datatype missmatch!!

So, is there another way to retrieve the ID that was just generated from the INSERT statement or do I have to convert the 'today' to another format when using it as condition in a select?

Hope this wasn't too complicated.

Thanks for your help guys :)

What DB is it, they all have different methods.
e.g.
rs.open "Select @@IDENTITY From
",conn
newID=rs(0)

or use a recordset to do the update..

rs.open "Responses",conn,2,2
rs.addnew
rs("customer")=session("customer")
rs("formid")=session("formid")
rs("datesubmitted")=Date
newID=rs("ID_Field")
rs.update

Using a select like you have above is not foolproof since another record could have been added in between your adding and selecting the last record.

These will work for Access:

strSql="INSERT INTO Responses(Customer, FormId, DateSubmitted) VALUES ('" & Session("Customer") & "'," & Session("FormId") & ",'" & today & "')"
conn.execute(strSql)
strSql="SELECT @@Identity FROM Responses"
set rs=conn.execute(strSql)
NewID=rs(0)
set rs=nothing
response.write(NewID)

OR:

strSql="INSERT INTO Responses(Customer, FormId, DateSubmitted) VALUES ('" & Session("Customer") & "'," & Session("FormId") & ",'" & today & "')"
conn.execute(strSql)
strSql="SELECT MAX(ResponseID) as NewID FROM Responses"
set rs=conn.execute(strSql)
NewID=rs("NewID")
set rs=nothing
response.write(NewID)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back