Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieval logger unavailable error if Media Library didn't catalog tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

bslengineer

Technical User
Feb 18, 2008
GB
Anyone seen the following problem:- When attempting retrieval on an 8.9 system an error occurs stating "you will require media id (xxx) btu there is no retrieval logger available" On further investigation this is related to tapes that when viewing Media Library info say the medium type is unknown. On tapes that medium type says AIT1 Long retrieval works ok. We've tried identifying external media but this fails as the media has a catalog from the logger on it so it isn't external!

how many retrieval loggers are onsite. the 8.9 apps use the dat32.dll to search media library. i had a similar issue at another site whereby i unticked the retrieval logger option in nice admin and saved then ticked and saved again closed out all nice apps and it functioned post this. Are any of the loggers in retrieval mode already. are you familiar with nice debug switch for nice apps?. Also if you have tied it down it med info and there can be an issue if there are different media types versions e.t.c.

Are the apps on sp4?

Hi all, i have the same issue with calls older than 99 days.
Except I'm doing backup on tsm with nice client.
Error i get in query when try to fetch old call is " the next request is located in media library (media id), but there are no available loggers for retrieval.

ver is 8.9

what is the retention on the task archiving calls to the TSM.

On the call you are trying to play what is the iarchiveclass value in the nice query column ?

Two things:
1. In system administrator click on the logger and check the retrieve tickbox is selected

2. Check your user has rights to retrieve calls. If not already doing it try logging in with the NICE superuser.

2 nicetechie:
1. i dont know TSM, but i think we are keeping "Archive" data for 5 years.
2. iarchive class is 2.

2 RoamingKiwi:

1. Yes it is selected for retreival.
2. I logged with user with Supervisor level, but it still don0t work.

Here is a couple of screens of what is happening.

Forgot to tell that listening to calls works well if data is on disk (in query). Also did checked with our TSM guy that there is data in Archive method about 2 years old.
Around 356 000 objects, so maybe there is too much of it.
There is need to mention that they upgraded TSM from version 5.30 to 5.40.

Also big thanks for your help!

Have you set a tape drive to retrieval mode? Does this happen all the time or just specific tapes / loggers?

have you added in the host's file on your p.c where your running nice query the ip address and host name of storage center.

Is the storage center in a DMZ or is there a firewall between you and storage center or TSM.

Ports 7200 and 1500 need to be opened. close out all nice apps when you add storage center to hosts file and relogin.

2 RK: there is no tape drive, TSM is backup method wich operates as nice connect to it like a client machine.

2 nt: dns is working well, i could ping nicestorage from my pc. regards to FW, acctually there is a FW but it should not be active for internal traffic. I will check this.
Anyway I think there is catch with a user on TSM or similar prob.

We have opened a supp case to nice, have made a few patches and this retreiving from TSM is now working.
Thing was in downgrade the TSM client on SC to 5.3.1, and make retention mark in retreiving calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back