Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

retention policy problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speridal

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
DE
Hi @all!

We are using a browse and retention policy of 12 weeks. One tape ist enough to run all backups of a week so we have 12 tapes for our backups.

Now I know that a tape with a 12 week policy is recycable after 13 weeks and i have the problem that my tapes recycle one week too late. Is it possible to write a script that changes the policies on all tapes so that they will recycle after 12 weeks?

sorry i forgot:
We are using Legato 6.2 on Windows 2000 servers

Why not just define a policy that defines a 3 week period and then use that in the browse and retention time?

Sorry I ment to say 11 weeks, not 3 weeks. It should read:

Why not just define a policy that defines a 11 week period and then use that in the browse and retention time?

that's what i have done. my problem is, that i have one server on each of the 20 locations of our customer and they have 12 tapes which are already filled. i need to change the retention policy of the savesets which are stored on the tapes so that they can recycle after 12 weeks.
otherwise i would have to set the tapes manually at recycle mode each week on each server till all twelve tapes are overwritten.

You origially said you have a retention time of 12 weeks.

I suggested changing this to be 11 weeks. This way, the last backup of the week will become recyclable 12 weeks later, and as a result, the entire tape should be elegible for recycling starting week 13

To answer your second question, to set the tape to be recyclable: nsrmm -o recyclable -V <volume name>

Hi,

We have a similar problem with some savesets having a different expiry time because they have been made using RMAN. I am using a temporary workaround to change the expiry time of those savesets. Maybe you could do something similar to change your savesets. You will have to change this a bit:

/usr/opt/networker/bin/mminfo -ar &quot;ssid,volume,savetime,ssretent,name&quot; -q &quot;pool=plCSND,savetime>yesterday,ssretent>next month&quot; | grep -v ssid | while read ssid info
do
echo ${ssid} &quot;${info}&quot;
/usr/opt/networker/bin/nsrmm -S $ssid -e &quot;11 days&quot; -w &quot;10 days&quot;
done

Regards,
Willem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back