Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

retaining resolution in indesign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crymcc

Technical User
Jan 16, 2009
US
I am new to indesign, but i use to use quark a few years ago (so I'm re-learning).. I want to make a pdf portfolio book of my old graphic design projects from college, and my projects were very type heavy. I no longer have my old files, I only have pdf versions of my old projects. I want to basically put sections of those pdfs into the book I am making in indesign. But because the images will have so much type, I'm worried about the resolution, and I don't have much experience so I was hoping someone would help me out before I make a million mistakes..

I don't plan on printing the final product..it's mostly meant to be emailed or added to a website and viewed online/onscreen, and I want the viewer to be able to zoom in on the typography if they want to, which is why I'm worried I will have resolution issues.

What is the best way for me to create and import images taken from existing pdf files? I want to import them to indesign for the purpose of creating a new pdf book? My current plan is to take screenshots of the sections of the pdfs I want to put in the new book, either with the copy tool in acrobat, or with the screenshot command on my mac. then edit the pics in photoshop before importing them into indesign. Will I be able to have a high enough resolutio if I do it that way?

Thank you so much for any advice on how to proceed!

I'm not really sure what you doing, but...

fonts don't have a resolution, so they can be as big or as small as you choose.

If you are making screen grabs of images, and are not going to print them.

Then that also will be ok... as screen shots look great...on screen. (72-96 dpi instead of the 300dpi required for printing)

It's a very subjective thing, whether they look good or not... having never seen them I can only go by what I mentioned to you above.

Good luck

Marcus

Hi Crymcc,

Welkom to the forum.
You want to show pieces/sections of your previous work inside an indesign document.
Indesign can import the PDF files. Within indesign you can crop and/or resize them to your needs.
So no need to go the screenshot lane.
Although if you want to alter the information of the pdf, you can import it into Photoshop and do the changes.
Save it as PSD file and import into Indesign.

Marcel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back