Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retaining date and time of email when copying

Status
Not open for further replies.

emozley

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
GB
Hi,

Is there a way of copying an email from MS Outlook (2003) to a windows folder in such a way that the date/time created is retained? At the moment the date/time is that at which the email was moved rather than that at which it was created.

Thanks very much

Ed

That's because it is the date and time that the .msg file was created. It has nothing to do with the Date Sent property of the email

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

I would imagien that the "Date Sent" property of the email itself still exists - what is it that you are trying to achieve here ?

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

I am trying to copy an email from Outlook to a windows folder but I want the date modified (in properties) to be the date the email was written rather than the date the email was copied.

Not going to be do-able without some code I wouldn't have thought - you may be able to write VBA that examines the email, and uses the date sent as a variable to amend the properties of the .msg file but I ask again - why ? You have said that you want to save .msg files to a windows folder - why do you want to do that ? maybe there is a better way of doing what you need to do without saving to a folder...

Rgds, Geoff

emozley,
This may not be just what you want, but have you tried opening the email as if you were forwarding it and then copy all to Word?
Bob

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail." - Abraham Maslow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back