Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retain Quark style when Getting Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

poet02

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
CA
Hi,

When I "Get Text" in QuarkXPress (Passport, 4.1, for Windows), I would like the text imported from Word (Word filters are activated) to take the current Quark style sheet, but it always keeps the original Word style.

I batch import text for several text boxes, so I do not want to change the style manually for every box.

Is there a way to ensure that imported text automatically "takes" the current Quark style sheet?

Thanks in advance,

François

When I deal with the problem on a repeating basis, I generally supply writers with Word template incorporating the style sheets I want them to use (could be any style as long as it's named properly). Then, IF they use them properly (well, sometimes they do...) I import using "existing" for all and the Quark version of the style sheets is substituted. I usually have at least some time advantage that way, even if I have cleanup in other ways.

If they use Normal throughout, though, you will have to assign the style. Easiest way is to select whole story, select "no style" then your preferred style or (on Mac at least) option-click on style in your style pallette. This works with threaded boxes as well (but will wipe out local formatting of bold/italic etc.)

Or you could open their story in Word, process the styles (choose all, apply style) and resave. This way you could do cleanups (double spaces, double returns, etc.) before you import. Write and run a macro? Be sure there are no "fast saves", as others have said.

We found if you copy and paste from Word in to Quark the Quark style sheets are used, not those from Word.

But that requires cutting and pasting, not importing. It will work, however. (And there's an extension called Paste Without Style that ignores styles when you paste from other parts of Quark document that can also help.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back