Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retain Permission when Copy Files 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

llam

Programmer
Feb 12, 2002
CA
How can I retain file permission when copying files from one drive to another? (They are both NTFS) There should be a way to do it right?

-- llam

In windows 2000, when you copy a file, the security permissions for the file are inherited from the destination directory. This means that security over the file might change. As an administrator or a security officer, you need to be aware and manage these these copies to ensure that a file with a high level of security isn't copied to a directory that has a lower level of security.

When a file is moved, however, it keeps the specifiec file permissions and doen't get any others, regardless of where it is placed within the windows 2000 partition it resides on. Moving a file onto a seperate disk partition will mean the security might change as it will ingerit the rules of the directory it is placed into. After any file copy operation, verify that the level of control remains and isn't changed.

Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft Windows 2000 Server in 21 days, Managing Files and Using the Distributed File System. Excellect book, well worth the $30. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."
Jean de La Fontaine (1621-1695); French poet.

so xcopy with /O will work right?
(what is the option /X anyway?)

If I would like to copy some folders that can only be entered by the owner, how can copy these folders? Shoud I logon as an backup administrator to do it?

thanks for the general file copying and moving principle. I do realize them, that's the reason why I post this question. Would like to work around it.

Thx!

-- llam

No problem. Bronto will help. He knows his stuff. If it works, (and I have no doubt it will), make sure you give him a star!!!!!!!

[2thumbsup] Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."
Jean de La Fontaine (1621-1695); French poet.

the /X option can be used if you've set file auditing on the stuff being copied (tracking deletions, writes, modifications, etc...) and includes the ACL's.
As for your owner question, I'm not sure I understand. Can you specify a bit?

Oh, Sorry for did not explain it well.

I have folders that can only be opened by the owners (users). Even domain admin has deny permission to open these folders.
In order to copy these folder (without changing permission setting) with the content inside, I should have some kind of higher permission to do that right?

--llam

well, if you have "no access" to these folders, I'm afraid you'll have to change the permissions to do the copy, unless you get the owners to run it. There's no "higher" power than domain admin, so you can take ownership if you need to, but that would change the permission set.

There should be right?
cuz when doing backup, the backup software has no problem reading the files and backup them.

--llam

the backup software is most likely running under the context of "System" which can pretty much do as it pleases. Unfortunately, you can't do an XCOPY like that....

Use NTBACKUP and restore the files to the new location. I use NTBACKUP for server migration and it works like a charm.

Right! NTBackup may be the solution that fit into my need, but still have to try it to see.

Just a thought, about the XCOPY option that brontosaurus mention, would that be possible for me to create a batch to run the xcopy command, and schedule an event to run the batch file? In that case, xcopy should be run as system instead of administrator. Am I right?

--llam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back