Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RETAIN has no effect on the handling of direct access volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

os390

Programmer
Nov 10, 2002
TR
I have a job running. But although I have used the 'retain' parameter in the JCL for my job, dfhsm broke and began to hold the unit for itself. Is there any way to prevent this and hold the unit exclusively?

Information:
RETAIN
For a private tape volume, RETAIN requests that this volume is not to be demounted or rewound after the
data set is closed or at the end of the step. For a public tape volume, RETAIN requests that this volume
is to be retained at the device if it is demounted during the job.

RETAIN Support: RETAIN is supported only for tape volumes managed by the basic control program
and by JES2. If coded on a DD statement for a tape data set on a JES3-managed device, JES3 ignores
the parameter when issuing KEEP/RETAIN messages and when performing unallocation at the end of
the job. However, if RETAIN is coded for a tape data set on a JES3-managed device and the tape volume
is to be shared with a later step, JES3 designates the volume as retained.

RETAIN has no effect on the handling of direct access volumes.

Demounting Despite RETAIN: Coding RETAIN does not ensure that the operator will not unload the
volume or that the system will not demount it for another job step allocation. Either can occur when the
device on which the volume is mounted is not allocated to the job step that specified RETAIN or, for
unlabeled tapes, when the volume requires verification. If the system does demount a volume for which
RETAIN was requested, it will do so by issuing message IEF234E R (retain) for that volume. When the
system reaches the next step requiring that volume, it will request the operator to remount the volume on
an available device of the appropriate type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back