Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retail POS cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat325i

MIS
Mar 28, 2003
We have a client who needs to switch to a new retail POS. I'm looking for a price range ($20-30k, $50-100k?) for the whole system-- hardware, software, training, etc. and the amount of time it would take to implement.

They'll need three floor systems (two with cash drawers) and two more for their back office. Only one store location.

thanks for your help

Without knowing more specifics, I'd guess $15k-20k, using their existing PC's (or new Dell's bought direct by customer) in the office. This is of course ballpark, as I don't know their specific requirements.

<a href=" POS Systems and Wine Club Software</a>
<a href=" POS Systems</a>

When we were recently looking at POS systems we were finding that for anything that was going to help us grow our business and meet our wants was running between 4 and 6K per station. This was including hardware, software, support and training.
When we made a choice we went with a company (TallySoft) who looked at our overall needs and didn't oversell certain items that we didn't need. For example I do purchasing at the store, tradeshows and at home or while I'm traveling. Instead of making me buy a second whole package for store management, they seperated the module that contains the purchase orders and reports and placed that on a laptop so that I can do work off site and then syncronize it back in to update the system. We even talked about a similar set up on a computer at the point of receiving. This will be added in the future as we grow.
All I can say is look for a company who really looks at your needs and is willing to work with you to give you the best system for your needs. Also don't forget the most important part of any system, their support and training.

Look at pos solutions from Datasym
I like their communication setup per sonally, havent used their system but it looks pretty well set up.

Look for Mike Kasperzack

I'm curious if you found a POS yet, I too am looking for a POS for an online business that will eventually branch out into a store and need something that will be able to adapt and grow as the company does. Have you had any luck yet? I've been using CAM32 and wasn't very satisfied. Though I have seen Counterpoint and Catapult which both seemed versitile and affordable - just want to see if there is more out there? Have you heard of ComCash? I have a demo w/them tomarrow....Any Info is good info...

Our client hasn't decided on which direction they want to go with the business yet, so we haven't pursued things any deeper. I'm sure some of the other members can help you out though.
Nat

Thanks Nat,
I posted a thread and got some good info, I was told to really ask about support, and recurring costs... You should probably do the same, since it sounds like we are both after the same thing. One question - are you working for the client as an employee, or doing this for others too? I am working independly as a contractor and was curious of the potential market.
-P-

I'm the network admin for a small CPA firm. One of our accounting clients is the retail store. They asked me to do some preliminary research to get some ballpark numbers. If they proceed I'll help them in any way I can-- I also do IT consulting for some of our clients.

Cool,
I come from a Receiving background and have many years of practial use and this is the first time I've been asked to compare what I've used to what this company needs and then finding the proper POS for them. Did that make sense? Yeasterday I saw a demo with Comcash, it looked really good, easy interface, good back of shop inventory control, and a good hand held to scan in product upon receipt. The recurring costs are minimal and also optional you can use it for the first year to get things going then opt out. Also if you have most of the hardware - PCs the rest isn't too expensive. You might want to look into what they offer too?
-P-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back