Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resume for a promotion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4Meep

Technical User
Aug 25, 2005
US
I was curious about one thing about creating your resume if you are applying for a position within the same company for which you currently work. If I were to apply for a higher position within my company, when creating my resume, how specific should I be with the objective? Should I literally say my objective is to land THAT very job?

Should I say that my objective is to obtain a job with upward mobility within the company? Should I write to ojbective the same as I would if I were applying to a completely different company (in other words, the objective doesn't say I want THAT job, doesn't say I want a job with THAT company, it just says I want some job in some kind of field)?

I just find the objective annoying overall, but everybody at my university that ever taught us how to form a resume said we NEED to have an objective. I hate this part of the resume. My objective is to find a freaking job! My education gave me a well rounded education that could be used in many different fields for many different positions. Why should I limit myself to one by having an objective? Besides, what if I'm just sending my resume to a company without even knowing whether or not they have a position. Sometimes that can be beneficial, and then why would I limit myself to a specific objective?

In my opinion, it would probably be better to skip the objective part, but to write a really great cover letter, or rather many of them.
Besides other things, and depending on wheter you know of an open position, or just trying your luck, you can either name the position, or explain what are all the things you can and are willing to do.

If I would apply for a job in the same company, I would start lobbying and trying to know who my new bosses would be, what kind of work etc.. before I start with something written to the HR Department. If I had the job description I would taylor my CV based on that.

A job with upward mobility? Lift attendent !! [thumbsup]

Steven

I'd also suggest to not go the 'writing letters' direction immediately as some people might think you are a bit arrogant.

Pinpoint the position you feel you're comfortable in and you need to be able to know exactly why and how you can fulfill that position in a pro-active way. Ie know your exact strenghts and weaknesses.

Then, as someone mentioned before, find out who is currently doing that, or a similar, job and who the appropriate manager is. Mingle with the person, in such a job, and get his/her and get his ideas on that job and what the pros and cons are. Then speak to the manager about how you can contribute to his departement and mentioned specific things that you can help with. Ie. go and sell yourself to him and let him understand you are interested to be in that specific position and can do the job. Not a 5 hour session, but merely a pointer of 30 minutes.

There after he/she will have an 'eye' on you to see what you're capable of. Unofficially start getting involved so that he/she can see you're really interested. Take it from there - he/she might schedule another session with you after a while or otherwise chat to him again to get some feedback on his thought.

The moral of the story - if you want a job, do your homework, show you can do it and TAKE it. ;-)

gerudman,

I don't disagree with you; in many cases your way can be better (as for the title question, the promotion).

My response was more for the last paragraph of the Paul's post, the one with "what if I'm just sending my resume to a company without even knowing whether or not they have a position. Sometimes that can be beneficial, and then why would I limit myself to a specific objective?"

Okay, I can see I missed something I should have mentioned. I have a very unique situation in my company that I guess I should have made clear. You all made great suggestions, but in my case, things may be easier than you are assuming. Your answers are all assuming I work in a big office with tons of different managers, supervisors, etc. Also, one important thing to know is that I'd only apply for a promotion within the same location, because it is our only location near enough to me.

I work for a BIG company, but I guess I'd have to say that the office is relatively small when compared to a big corporate office. See, anybody I could possibly talk to regarding a promotion is almost definitely somebody I already know, who already knows me, at least by my good reputation. This office has one head honcho, so to speak. There are people above him, of course, but not in our location. Under him are two managers. Under them are the fourteen supervisors. Under them are the employees. Everybody basically knows me.

The other question I have about your suggestions: Why would I do all of this BEFORE sending a cover letter and resume? Everything you are all suggesting sounds to me like the kind of stuff you would do if and when they ask you in for an interview. Is the idea to get a better idea of what exactly the job involves, so you can better craft your resume and cover letter to fit?

If so, aren't you typically supposed to go by the job description anyway, then worry about further fitting yourself to the position when they interview you? I just cannot imagine how you are supposed to be able to ask questions, and get yourself involved in the position without is seeming rude, and seeming like you are trying to get an unfair advantage, or rudely assuming that the job is as good as yours. Can somebody clarify, or am I just being overly paranoid about it? I do sometimes tend to over think things. I may be thinking I'd make myself look rude, when it actually would instead have the reverse effect.

Are you looking at vacant position, or is it a promotion? For a promotion your boss has talk to his boss etc..

Why would I do all of this BEFORE sending a cover letter and resume? Everything you are all suggesting sounds to me like the kind of stuff you would do if and when they ask you in for an interview.

Who do you think does the hiring? Human Resources? forget it. If you turn out to be psychopat (no offense), you will be a problem to your new supervisors and ultimately the head honcho , and in a final stage the HR department to get rid of you.

On the other hand, if your new supervisor is a psycho, stay where you are. The grass looks always greener on the other side.

I would talk
1) To my supervisor, and ask him to introduce me to the head honcho.

Steven

I work in a fairly small office, too. What I've done when seeking promotions is to talk to my supervisor, outline the reasons I'm looking for a new position and the reasons I think I can fill the position I'm seeking. Next, if the new position was in a different department, contact the prospective new supervisor and explain my qualifications again. That's all it takes, usually. A couple years ago I was even able to create a new position this way. I've never needed a resume when seeking a promotion.

Hey, cool! I didn't notice you could do quotey thingies.

svanels said:
Are you looking at vacant position, or is it a promotion? For a promotion your boss has talk to his boss etc..

Hmmm.... I guess if it came up with me, it would be a vacant position. I don't think my company exactly gives promotions. I mean, they sometimes call it a promotion, but it really is just a vacant higher level position for which existing employees can apply.

svanels said:
Who do you think does the hiring? Human Resources? forget it. If you turn out to be psychopat (no offense), you will be a problem to your new supervisors and ultimately the head honcho , and in a final stage the HR department to get rid of you.

Oh yeah. You know, you make a good point. If I sent a resume and cover letter, that would most likely be going to HR, but they are most likely NOT really the ones making the employment decision in a case like this.

svanels said:
I would talk
1) To my supervisor, and ask him to introduce me to the head honcho.

Well, the thing is, I know the head honcho and he knows me. I don't need anybody to introduce me to him. If I needed to talk to him, I could ask him for a moment to talk. Actually, in the case of my company, he may not even be the one who would make any decisions anyway. That's one thing he's likely to leave to the two managers below him.

aardvark92 said:
I work in a fairly small office, too. What I've done when seeking promotions is to talk to my supervisor, outline the reasons I'm looking for a new position and the reasons I think I can fill the position I'm seeking. Next, if the new position was in a different department, contact the prospective new supervisor and explain my qualifications again. That's all it takes, usually. A couple years ago I was even able to create a new position this way. I've never needed a resume when seeking a promotion.

Thanks. Sounds like good advice, especially in the case of a company like mine. I'd probably still need a resume in my company, though. Whenever a new position comes up, they always insist on putting it up as an open position no matter what. They say that they have to, for the sake of fairness. I don't know if they are just BSing, but that sounds sensible to me.

If the HR department is working like it should, you will have a personal file and maybe a copy at your department/division.
In this file your original CV, promotions, raises, official letters, suspenses, company loans and more important your performance through the years with this company should be found.
Does your supervisor has yearly reviews with his sub-ordinates?

When there is an open position, there is a standard rule that those on the inside get first choice, if nobody appeals or there is no suitable candidate, it will be published to the community.
It is in most cases cheaper to rearrange, then putting someone new on the pay-roll.

ask him to introduce me to the head honcho

introduce doesn't mean: hey boss this is John Doe who works in the basement!! [thumbsup], but:

Mr boss, for that position you were talking about, maybe we have a suitable candidate, who works hard, is dedicated etc.. blah, blah in short, let your supervisor/manager prepare the road.

Steven

svanels said:
Does your supervisor has yearly reviews with his sub-ordinates?

Yeah. We get one of those every year. Mine are always really good. Actually, we get monthly reviews too. Same thing there.

svanels said:
ask him to introduce me to the head honcho

introduce doesn't mean: hey boss this is John Doe who works in the basement!! , but:

Mr boss, for that position you were talking about, maybe we have a suitable candidate, who works hard, is dedicated etc.. blah, blah in short, let your supervisor/manager prepare the road.

OH! Cool. I get you. That definitely makes sense now. Even with me knowing the head honcho, it would be good to have my supervisor get the ball rolling. Looks a lot better to have your direct superior (who in the company would know you better?) telling the boss why you are perfect for the position.

Paul said:
I mean, they sometimes call it a promotion, but it really is just a vacant higher level position for which existing employees can apply.

Seems like a reasonable definition of a promotion to me...

Cheers,
Dave

Probably the only Test Analyst Manager on Tek-Tips...therefore whatever it was that went wrong, I'm to blame...

animadverto vos in Abyssus!

Take a look at Forum1393!

DPlank said:
Seems like a reasonable definition of a promotion to me...

I just meant that I typically think of a promotion as a job that you ask your boss if you can have. Or one that your boss asks if you want (if you are lucky). Maybe I'm weird, but it doesn't seem to me like a case where they'd ask to see your resume, a cover letter, and you'd basically sort of go through the whole process again, just as though you were a new potential employee.

I usually picture a promotion as a situation where, you go to your boss and explain why you are best for the position, not send your resume to HR only to have the boss (or whoever actually is making the decision) interview you anyway. Every time you see it in a TV show or movie, the employee just sits down with his/her boss upon hearing of the potential promotion. Actually, I guess I AM just weird. :p

Every time you see it in a TV show or movie...
Don't look at them. Even though once in a while they do get it right, most often those people who create shows and movies have never held regular jobs and didn't even think they needed a consultant for the show. :)

As for how you get the promotion, or "just a vacant higher level position", for that matter, depends on the rules or the culture of your company. Where I work, we need to "go through the whole process again, just as though you were a new potential employee", including the resume, interview, or, for some positions, exams or testing, etc.

Another story that HR are not the ones who do the hiring (but they still have to get every single paper into their files), so you might (or might not) be able to put yourself in an advantaged position by asking your manager to recommend you to the hiring manager, by coming to talk to the said manager, etc.

But it doesn't always work like that. We once had a position open, and a person who once worked as an intern for our dept., and at the time was already a full time employee in another dept., came in to talk about his/her interest in the position. Well, after the whole interviewing process was over, a person from outside got the job, because the hiring manager found him/her better. Yet another time they did hire a person who once already worked for our dept. and expressed his/her interest to come back.

I think my company typically likes to promote from within when possible. That's what folks seem to tell me who have been here long enough. Seems they usually only like to take completely new folks at entry level, if they have any control over it. Then again, I guess that is probably typically the way most companies think. If they can find a worthy current employee, why risk taking a complete unknown in a more important position?

I'll bet the current employee in your one story was really peeved, though. Probably felt pretty slighted since the company went with a newbie instead of trusting a proven employee. I am sure it is hard to be able to get oneself to actually think positively and say "Well, I guess this other person was just more qualified.

I just meant that I typically think of a promotion as a job that you ask your boss if you can have. Or one that your boss asks if you want (if you are lucky).

There is also another promotion

What about if your boss thinks that he pays you too much for the little work that you deliver.

The solution: give more responsibilities (more work [thumbsup] ). The ideal way to get rid of slackers.

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back