Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrictions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuri

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
US
How do restrict internet downloads by user logon?

I think you might need third party software. If someone knows how to do it within NT though, I would also be interested.

Just this: would you restrict on size, quantity or a complete restriction?

Anyone know of 3 party software to restrict downloads by user account?

Well you could try this. I haven't so I can't say for sure that it will work.

Disable File Download in Internet Explorer (All Versions)
This setting allows you to restrict the ability to download files using Internet Explorer.
Open your registry and find or create the key below.
Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "1803" and set it according to the value data below.
Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Registry Settings
User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3]
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3]
Value Name: 1803
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = downloads enabled, 3 = downloads disabled)

Wont that affect all users on that machine?

If you do it for HKEY_CURRENT_USER then it will be only for the current user. If you do it for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then yes, I believe it would affect for all users. James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that they think I am now
qualified to do anything with nothing.

What if I want to kill a users ability to access the internet at all?

Remove the default gateway from their PC.

Add static routes if they need to access anything outside your local subnet. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back