Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrictions on Merlin 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

campyracr

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
US
I read in the quick reference how to change the restrictions on the console, and poked around WinSPM enough to figure that out.

What confuses me is the "facility restriction level" and Authorization code.

I have no idea what is or is not being restricted at the "facility" level. I am guessing however, the authorization code is a dial string users must enter to gain access to lower restrictions.

Campy,

This might help:
Facility Restriction Levels. Select the ARS restriction level (0-6).

Table Type. Indicates how to interpret the information in the table. Table types are Area Code, Local Exchange, 6-Digit, 1 + 7, Dial 0, Special Numbers (N11), Default Toll, and Default Local.

—Facility Restriction Level. A value from 0 to 6 associated with the route. For routes, 0 is the least restrictive and 6 the most restrictive value. In order to use a route, a caller (according to extension or remote access barrier code/trunk) must have an FRL that is equal to or greater than the FRL of the route.

This (FRL) becomes handy when you have different LD Vendors.

Let's say the BOSS NEVER wants to be blocked from an LD call, but does not want subordinates to use the EXPENSIVE LD Facility.

The Boss gets a 6 (on his extension) and the subs have a 3. The cheap LD carrier trunks have 3 assigned as their FRL value, and the EXPENSIVE ONE has a 6 assigned.

If all the CHEAP Lines are tied up, the BOSS can call on the EXPENSIVE ONE, but the subs can not.

That is what it is for....

OK, that makes sense now. Is there some listing of what is and is not allowed at each FRL?

Also, what are the limitatations on an Authorization Code?

Well now I am confused. I was reading in one of my Avaya manuals and found confusing information (imagine that). The ARS FRL is described as 0 most restrictive & 6 least restrictive. Whereas, the FLR is described just a few pages later as 6 being most restrictive and 0 least restrictive.

Perhaps someone can clear it up for both of us.

ZERO is MOST RESTRICTIVE on the EXTENSION SIDE.

Likewise, it is the LEAST RESTRICTIVE on the FACILITY SIDE.

The FRL refers to both the EXTENSION ACCESS and the FACILITY ACCESS.

If EXTENSION 123 has an FRL of 6 it can access any facility with an FRL of 6 or less.

If EXTENSION 234 has an FRL of 3, it can access any facility with an FRL of 3 or less.

Thus, if the BOSS is extension 123, and all the "CHEAP" LD lines are tied up (FRL 3), he can automatically place his call over the EXPENSIVE CARRIER (FRL 6), whereas the sub on extension 234 CAN NOT !

THink of it this way the EXPENSIVE LINES have the HIGHEST FRL VALUE. The CHEAP ONES have the LOWEST FRL VALUE.

Likewise, THE HIGHEST RANKING EXTENSIONS have the HIGHEST FRL VALUE, and the LOWEST RANKING EXTENSIONS have the LOWEST FRL VALUE.

Does that clear it up?

So I can limit what types of calls are placed on a particular line via FRL. I can also limit who can use which lines for different types of calls via FRL on the extension.

Such that a line with an FRL of 6 would have limited use regardless of the FRL on the extension. However, and extension with FRL of 6 would have access to that same line.

If I didn't say it right, I get the picture.

That clears up the FRL v. ARS FRL. Is there a listing of what call types are allowed at each FRL (Extension side)?

I want to correctly categorize my extensions.

That is done within the ARS itself.

The FRL only restricts (or allows)ACCESS TO THE FACILITY. (Trunk or Pool of trunks)

The Function of what that pool can do is defined by the type of ARS table defined and whether or not you do things to stop LD on a particular ARS route.

Considering most LD Companies are making killer deals on LD anymore, it usually only pays to TOLL RESTRICT a few extensions at the EXTENSION RESTRICTION level, and just not concern oneself about FRL levels.

I just set a system up for a large church, and the only type of Toll Restriction we applied was at the extension level for a few phones in public areas. Along with restricting EVERYONE from 1411. Their bill for 411 service was WAY TOO HIGH!

The way I restricted 411, was to steer those calls to a pool with NO LINES IN IT. Thus, the caller got wave off.

Another way is to set up an extension to VM and have it be a Bulletin Board with an announcement saying "411 Calls are restricted." By being a Bulletin Board, once it plays the announcement, IT HANGS UP !

Forgive me for getting carried away....

But after all, we were discussing restrictions.

By all means. Thanks that clears up the matter considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back