Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restricting users to installed programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GazNew

Instructor
May 3, 2005
GB
Students are able to run games from their My Documents area and sometimes these even install to the start menu. GPO is set to restrict this (I believe) but if so it does not work (2000 server, not 2003 which is tighter I understand). I am looking for:

A utility that can prevent software being run from user areas.

A utility that will stop ny software running on the workstations, given the program name or other info.

A means of clearing and reseting the start menu to a default configuration (and stop Outlook Express appearing!)

Any ideas?

For Q1: remove the "Read and Execute" permission under the user areas. Leave the "Read" permission.
Read & Execute = Run applications, plus perform the actions permitted by the Read permission.

For Q2: See member Greg Palmer's contribution "AppKiller". Freeware.

For Q3: Use Manual profiles.
Removing OE:

A utility that can prevent software being run from user areas.

You can use NTFS security privledges to remove the execute privledge for specific folders. Give them read and write access only.

A utility that will stop ny software running on the workstations, given the program name or other info.

was written for this purpose but may not have enough applications to give you what you need.

A means of clearing and reseting the start menu to a default configuration (and stop Outlook Express appearing!)

Group Policy

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu & Taskbar

Gives you some control over the Start Menu - You can again use NTFS permissions to restrict the addition of any icons to the start menu.

As for outlook express you can try removing it from Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components.

I'm sure someone else will give you some better answers but these should get you started.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back