Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restricting users to documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkirkflex

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2006
US
We have SharePoint Services (2003 Server). We would like to restrict certain users from going into a document group and viewing documents in that group. Is this possible? I have looked but cannot find a way to restrict users from getting into other "document groups". We have broken these groups like you would folders and where try to apply security in the same way but can't seem to find out how to do this.

Thanks.

You can apply security only to the topmost level of a document library. Anyone with rights to the document library has access to every subfolder in the library; you can't restrict subfolders.

I believe this shortcoming is corrected in MOSS2K7.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

Thanks phil;

Unfamiliar with MOSS2K7, is this a service Pack or the next generation of SharePoint? Tried puting that in on Microsoft site but came up empty.

Thanks

Next gen; it's Microsoft Office Sharepoint Services 2007, and it's coming out at the end of the month, I believe.

Phil Hegedusich
IIMAK
-----------

Phil,

Thanks again. How do you restrict access to a document library per user?

Thanks.

You should manage access by site group membership. Look up "Managing Site Groups and Permissions" in the Sharepoint compiled help file.

Phil Hegedusich
IIMAK
-----------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back