Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restricting users from running anything except for IE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshanafelt

Programmer
May 14, 2002
US
Hello all,

I work in an university environment where all students are issued laptops when they enroll. One of the classes I support uses a web-based testing tool (WebCT) to administer tests and quizzes. I am trying to find a utility that will allow the instructors to force the students to open only Internet Explorer during testing times. Once they are done with the test, the software should be deactivated to allow them back to normal use.

The reason for this is that we don't want the students to be able to open up notes in notepad, Word, etc... during testing time.

We tried a solution with W2K Terminal Server, where all of the students logged into the terminal server that had a group policy that simply popped up the testing web page and took up the whole screen of the client computer. However, we soon found that the students could simply hit the Windows key on the laptops and the start menu of the client PC would pop up.

Any other ideas?

That's not a computer problem, but a Teacher problem. If you give laptops with root access (physical access is equavalent with admin/root), dont expect to screw around with it.

If you dont like being able to hijack computers, give out paper quizzes and have all computers off.

Still, I'd expect the tech staff (you) and computer profesors to understand this simple concept. Goes to show how dumb universities are getting.

Please let Tek-Tips members know if their posts were helpful.

I would go back the Terminal Services option. Lock down everything using a gpo....deny programs being run, installed and even go as far as disabling the windows key. Possibly use 1 TS server as your testing server with this registry hack applied - for all students. To disable the key, do this:

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
Name: Scancode Map
Data Type: REG_BINARY
Value: 00000000000000000300000000005BE000005CE000000000

Either create or edit the Scancode Map and apply the value exactly as it is shown here.

Other than that do a search on google and look for a lock down tools suited to your needs...like these

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Krale,

Perhaps your slam on Universities is an attempt at a compensating blow because you were never able to get into one.

Obviously, we (the tech staff) understand the consequences of giving the students administrative rights to their laptops. It was a conscious decision in that we wanted the students to actually use the laptops rather than be restricted into what they can and can't do.

We will find a way to solve this problem using technology, unlike someone like you who would take the avenue of "Screw the user, let's just lock down their laptops at all times so they can't do anything beyond what we tell them they can do".

Hewissa, thanks for the suggestions, I will look into all of those options.

I hope MSHANAFELT sees my reply. I don't have a direct solution, but, I attend a college where Cisco's tests are administered on computers through the internet. Cisco does just what your asking. Somehow, Cisco locks the test window till you either complete the test or click their link to close the window. Maybe an E-mail to them could provide the answers you seek.

good luck.

I found an app called dWinlock ( that disables ctrl-esc, the Windows key, and a number of other key combinations. I think this app running resident in the background will do the trick when comboed with the terminal services solution we already are using.

Thanks for the help everyone.

-MES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back