Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restricting traffic for router added to existing network

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPettit

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2003
US
I have an existing (wired-only) network. I've got a spare WRT54G that I want to add to the existing network so that all traffic through the WRT54G will go only to the Internet and maybe one of the printers on the existing network. I don't want the WRT54G users accessing anything else on the existing network. Is this possible to do without making changes to the existing network?

Existing network: 192.168.1.0
Existing router: 192.168.1.1
WRT54G network: 192.168.2.0
Printer on existing network: 192.168.1.100

I've got the WRT54G connected to the existing network via its WAN port. I used the following for the "Internet" address:
IP address: 192.168.1.101
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS: 192.168.1.1

The local address of the WRT54G is:
IP address: 192.168.2.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
and it's serving DHCP addresses of 192.168.2.x

Machines attached to the WRT54G have no problem reaching the Internet. However, they also have no problem accessing everything on the 192.168.1.0 network.

Is it possible to accomplish what I want to do? If so, how?

You would need to "Y" the WANs of both routers to the Internet using a switch, if your Internet connecting device does not have multiple Ethernet ports on it. This would give you two separate networks with minimal changes.

....JIM....

But that won't give the second network access to the printer on the first network. Why don't you look into an alternate firmware, like dd-wrt? It has a lot more function than the fw that came oem. there is a helpful wiki page and tutorials. But it will take a basic understanding of how to flash the routers fw, and also networking.

You could also use a more restrictive group policy on the pc's on the existing network, create a group, and only the members of the group have access to shared folders. YOu would also need to turn off guest accounts and policies on the existing network. That would give access to the printer if it is hooked up on the network and not shared from a pc.

Or you could get a real router like a Juniper Networks SSG or a Fortigate product that does all of this stuff with one box and more!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back