Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restricting Microsoft Games via Group Policy 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdblack

MIS
Sep 6, 2002
US
Managment has decided that to much time is being spent playing the games on our 2K and XP machines. They would like all access for these removed. I would like to do so using Group Policy but to date have been unable to determine how to accomplish.
Any help would be appreciated.

In group policy, go to
user settings, administrative templates, system, don't run specified applications.
All you have to do is list the executable for each app you don't want to allow them to run. Works great.

Thanks!
Works like a champ. I have now managed to alienate 80% of our workforce.....

Star for Mrmoneymatters, been all through the GPO and never thought of using that...

if the user change the app's name,he can still play game.

Correct, but most users couldn't do that. When they move to 03server he can set up hashing rule, that will fix that.

Hate to act stupid here, but the DC is on 03server. What is the hashing rule of which you speak? Sounds interesting.

The hash rule. I think it looks at the way an app works and takes a snapshot or something, then if another program does the same thing it will block it even though the name could have been changed. Sorry that sounds a little shady but I haven't got to work with it yet.
You go to group policy, user settings, windows settings, security settings, software restrictions, rules, then right click and choose create new hash rule.

I also provided a link for you. This is new to 2003 server and xp clients.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back