Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restricting FTP Access in Solaris 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

plbiju

Technical User
Oct 3, 2001
How to restrict FTP access to the particular ID's Home directory , Even the user should not see the files/directories in the parent directory . The user should only have full perrmission to his home directory..

Anonymous ftp is not allowed since due to security issue

Regards
Biju.P.L

Compile, configure, and run a third-party open-source FTP daemon in place of the Solaris one. Recommend ProFTP or WU-ftpd. Do a search on Sourceforge, or maybe the Sun freeware site has precompiled versions.

Is it possible to do with standart solaris ftp ...

You can make changes in /etc/shells file.

Ex: If you want to disable ftp for only 10 users.

create a file /etc/shells #if it is not created.
you may see

/bin/csh
/bin/sh
/bin/ksh
/usr/local/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/tcsh

In the password file look for shell assigned to 10 users. If they are using /bin/csh. Do comment on /bin/csh in /etc/shell file. Because of any reasons you can not do this, assign a shell that should not be in /etc/shell file.

I restricted ftp for my users by assigning the /usr/bin/csh instead of /bin/csh. It is working well.

hope this help.

i assigned /usr/bin/ksh to my user called user1.

in my /etc/shells, i've all except /usr/bin/ksh

/bin/csh
/bin/sh
/bin/ksh
/usr/local/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/tcsh

However when I tried to login to ftp, it gives me 530 login incorrect. login failed.

Why is this so? However, when I removed /etc/shells, I'm able to login to ftp again.

oh i think u're trying to restrict ftp. but for my case, i'm trying to restrict user to see ONLY THEIR HOME DIR when in ftp and not other dir.

kwhou, Im trying to do the same thing, did you ever figure it out?

no i did not. i gave up. i think it doesnt work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back