Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restricting DHCP addresses ro computers who join AD domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzer

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
GB
I have built a Windows 2003 Active Directory and use DHCP for allocated addresses to my clients. I have authorised the DHCP into the Active Domain and Dynamic DNS is working well. However, within our building/ network we have a number of departments who are administered by a different I.T Department and who use static IP addresses for their workstations. I am finding that my DHCP Server is automatically allocating IP addresses to some of these clients where they have put their PC/ laptop on the network but left the IP settings to be automatically assigned. Is there any way I can get my DHCP Server to only assign IP addresses to machines that are members of my domain only?

You're going to need 3rd party software. Start looking at packet sniffers would be my first thought. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're a kid at heart, check out Tek-Tips Disney
[mickey]

How many computers are we talking???

If you can take the time, you can start using dhcp reservations for all of your computers... May take a while but i've done this in the past and it works.

If you have 20 computers, set up your dhcp to only hand out 20 addresses and ensure they are all part of your scope reservations.

Course, if you have 500 computers, you may want to look at other options...

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back