Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restricting and giving messenger permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rthomas5

IS-IT--Management
Apr 27, 2001
US
Hi again,
Im having a problem setting up permissions for messenger.
I have one department (group a) that needs to use it and I have another that does not need access to it and must not access it (group b, or the bad eggs). I set up a protocol rule denying the msn and messenger for group b. I then set up another protocol rule giving everyone access to the protocols. I thought that deny permissions overrode granted permissions so group b wouldnt be able to use messenger and group a could. It didnt work... :( I tried several other ways of making this work but got nowhere. I even went to the rule that denied group b and added group a
into the exceptions box at the bottom. Didnt work.. :*( What would happen is, if I had it working for group a then it would also work for group b and if it didnt work for group b then it wouldnt work for group a either... Anybody got any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help. I have the isa book but it doesnt really hit on this.

I figured it out!!! you have to install the firewall client
on the machines you want to use messenger on. The other ones u dont have to use the client. Messenger wont work
unless it has the client. Same for yahoo. Have you rebooted yet?
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back