Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restricting access to internet explorer under administrator win xp/200

Status
Not open for further replies.

CecilXavier

Technical User
Oct 2, 2007
US
I am trying to find a way to lock internet explorer while a person is signed in as an administrator. The pc's that I have running have to be logged in with administrative privileges because of certain programs that have to run. Unfortunately, asking my people not to get on the internet hasn't worked out well. I can put a false proxy in there, but I'm pretty sure that some of my more savvy staff will figure out how to reset that.
I have a hardware firewall in place, but I also need to have logmein access on all these machines. And these machines need limited internet access to certain ports. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

A rather non-elegant method would be to add an NTFS Deny permission to the Administrators group for executing the iexplore.exe file. Test this carefully on a test machine, because you might have difficulty reverting it afterward. And take notes so that you can remember why something might not work as expected a year from now.

How would you reverse that? Could I go under another user, setup permissions for that user and that user only to iexplorer.exe, but not the administrator? That way if I needed it back I could log in as the other user and grant access?

Nope. No domain. And I tried removing permissions from iexplore.exe. All it did was not allow me to open internet explorer. I can go to a windows explorer address bar and put in a web address. It still allows that to work.

Is there a way I can use 1 router, but have two networks under it to access the internet? Basically, I want ot have another pc setup for internet access, but not be able to see/communicate with the other computers on the network.

This sort of setup us usually called seperate vlans and higher end routers & switches usually can do this. There are other ways also - there are several linux distributions that can be run on a spare machine and turn it into a router/gateway system that can do everything you're asking for and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back