Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict users from sending to certain external email addresses 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mar74

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2003
US

In Exchange 2000, I need to prevent the entire domain from sending to 20 specific outside email addresses. The "Delivery Restrictions" tab on the SMTP connector seems to only block all external emails from users/groups. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Unfortunately you will not be able to block them using filters. Because all of the users are "authenticated" to the SMTP virtual server, they will be able to send to any recipient.

The easiest way I can think of to take care of this would be to create a "Junk" mailbox and add the SMTP addresses of the restricted recipients to it. The mail will get delivered to you, and you can delete them.

The second way would involve 3rd party software.... You would have to set up another server and install a relay program that would filter the mail as it goes out. GFI Mail Essentials will do this, but you will have to buy a license for it to work longer than 30 days.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Thank very much for the input!

Actually, I wouldn't creat a "junk mailbox". Instead, create a distribution group with no members and add the custom email address to the group. Don't put it in a recipient policy, or exchange will accept delivery for all mail to that domain. Anyway, the distibution group with no members trick actually blackholes the mail silently and there's nothing to clean up.

Slick... I like that. But then again I like to beat on my users when they do things that they're not supposed to do.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Actually, I wouldn't creat a "junk mailbox". Instead, create a distribution group with no members and add the custom email address to the group. Don't put it in a recipient policy, or exchange will accept delivery for all mail to that domain. Anyway, the distibution group with no members trick actually blackholes the mail silently and there's nothing to clean up."""

This is also a great way to alleviate spam and free up some resources on your mail server when employees leave and you dump their email address. I have used this for some time. It's nice to see it can be applied in other areas too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back