Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict the Creation of various file types

Status
Not open for further replies.

kachbo1

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2004
GB
Hi,

I would like to restrict the creation of various file types on our File/Print servers (such as .mpg, .avi, .mp3 etc)

Is this possible?

Can this be done through GPO's?

Any help will be appreciated.

Kachbo

Intersting one, I don't know if we can do this exactly, but we can at least have a scheduled script that can search for these file types and delete.

"Del *.mp3, *.avi, *.mpg"

But I'll see if I can find/come up with a setting.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Are you interested in using third-party software? There are a few reasonably priced applications that block/restrict/delete specified file types very well.

JB

"He who laughs last probably made a backup. He who laughs loudest probably hasn't checked his backups in a while."

Hi,

If this can't be done through AD or GPO's then yes I wouldn't mind having a look at third party software. Any reccomendations?

Kachbo.

Take a look at ExplorerXP, this has a recursive removal feature of specified criteria listed files.

ExplorerXP

I like this program as a general windows explorer replacement, its just feature rich for day to day use, this is just a bonus feature that is part of it.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Veritas's Storage Central, now Symantec Storage Exec used to do file level blocking among other things such as Quota management.

Basically it added a driver that sat in the disk I/O stack and would intercept any files with particular extensions that you set.

No idea of current price / features though.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back