Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict set relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhinorhino

Vendor
Aug 29, 2022
US
Office manager wants to keep the staff from moving their handsets and extensions to new desks without the Management's permission.

Right now if they unplug their 9608 handset go to another desk and plug it in the user's profile and extension moves with the handset.

Right now I have it set up for DHCP by the land one Perry new paragraph is there a way to prevent users from doing this for example if a static IP was assigned to a port and to the handset or is there a feature or function that restricts them like they used to have on the old Nortel set relocation feature.

I looked around on a couple different threads and I couldn't seem to find information if this is available.

If you move desk would you not want the user and extn to go with them..
That’s usually the thing most people want.

I take it the desk they move to doesn’t have a phone connected and that’s why they take their phone

Or do you just want the person to sit at a desk with a different number and user.🤷

I suppose you could set up the phones with forced login …or no user.
Or put phones at all desks already set up

What does that mean…

If you have advanced switch see if you restrict access by IP or MAC address. This would stop the actual phones being moved.

Users could logout and login though and I am not sure if there is a way to stop this.

the set relocation is for digital phones if I remember some Nortel stuff correctly.

IP phones remember their login information, call server etc. regardless where they boot up unless they get some new information (call server and file server only) from the DHCP server, so there is no way to turn that off.

DHCP is, in my opinion, the way to go because static IP's are a headache should your IP scheme change at one time.

What is it that you want to achieve exactly?
That they come up with a different IP address so that your IP's don't move?
Or that the people cannot take their extensions along?

If people are concerned about their own germs then have them take the receivers along instead of the entire phone.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back