Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict Outdial

Status
Not open for further replies.

doughonea

IS-IT--Management
Apr 27, 2010
US
I have a CallPilot 150. I would like to set the CCR to dial an external number when the caller hits one. However, I *don't* want to get hit by toll fraud hackers. How do I restrict the outdial to the one specific number and prevent fraud?

Thanks!

Allowing such outbound feature is on the voice mail via Class Of Service.

Restrictions for digits dialed is under Restrictions programming on the KSU.

Create a Restriction Filter with the number you want to dial as an Exception (Override on old software) to your liking then apply that filter to the Callpilot's DN (Feature 985 to see it)

Example:
Filter 10
Restricted:
* <----prevents any star codes being used
0 <----prevents overseas calls
10 <----prevents 1010, 1011 type number from being dialed

Apply filter 10 to the DN of CP

Also see my Toll Fraud FAQ in the Norstar forum:

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

If its restricted to a specific number it is safer to setup Phantom on the pabx to the external number and set the Out dial restrictions in the Callpilot to only allow internal calls. That way no chance of toll fraud.

@bignose21, would you please explain what you mean by "set up phantom"?

What bignose21 means is a DN that is in lala land that is forwarded to the number you want.

However this is a Norstar system you have, it does not have "Phantom" DN's, also any physical DN that is forwarded must have the set plugged in.
There is a crazy work around but it has cons.

It simply is not necessary so please do not be spooked by this or by the mentions in my FAQ which many are overkill and only noted for those who are unsure, do not need Outbound Transfer or Off Premise Notify from mailboxes...or just paranoid.

The Norstar's programming is perfectly fine to work with.

Example setup if you allow your users to use these wonderful features Outbound Transfer or Off Premise Notify then 3 thins to program:
Restrictions - Program a filter and exception/overrride - This is pretty much the most important key to prevent toll fraud
Class of Service - Keep users with Outbound Transfer or Off Premise Notify in the same class, easier to keep track of.
Mailbox passwords - for those who use Outbound Transfer or Off Premise Notify have them use complex passwords , 4 to 8 digits allowed (you can check "Trivial passwords" box in administration so user cannot use passwords like 1234 , 111 etc.)

Setup filter and apply to voice mails DN:
Filter 10
Restricted:
* <----prevents any star codes being used
0 <----prevents overseas calls
10 <----prevents 1010, 1011 type number from being dialed
Note you can add 1 as a restriction too but if some users require it then add their number as an exception in your filter. Fraudsters are more interested in Oversea's calls.
Apply filter 10 to the DN of CP

Program your External Transfer as needed in CCR.

It is a good idea to go to Class Of Service in Callpilot and uncheck/disable Outbound Transfer or Off Premise Notify in any C.O.S. # that does not require it.
Those who do need Outbound Transfer or Off Premise Notify try an keep them in the same C.O.S.
Also deny Outdial for the mailboxes

For those who do not require any outdial period you can simply remove Line Assignment and Pool Access from the DN of voicemail or apply a restriction to it's DN.

I have been doing Toll Fraud lock downs on Norstar/BCM's since they started in the mid 90's and not once have I had a callback, I admit I have been nervous at times because it would be hell to pay if it happened again......I still do this once every few weeks mostly because fraudsters use the *72 option (the carriers Call Forward option) but still the old fashion way too.

Lately fraudster will find a mailbox (including old Flashtalks) that had a weak password and the mailbox was allowed Outdial and Off Premise Notification (Not Outbound Transfer).
Once they are in the setup Off Prem Notify to call their own number
They get the caller ID of that line
They then change the number to *72 and the oversea's number to forward that line.
They then caall that number to get overseas.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back